If you have a crash at Kdenlive startup or when trying to play a video file, please follow this steps (and read the rest of the page too)
- If you compiled Kdenlive / MLT yourself, make sure you followed all steps described in our instructions
- Check that you don’t have several versions of MLT installed
- Try playing your video file with FFmpeg’s player. From a terminal: ffplay myvideo.mpg
- Try playing your video file with MLT’s player. From a terminal: melt myvideo.mpg
- Download this simple project file (containing color clips): test_file.kdenlive and play it with MLT’s player: melt test_file.kdenlive
Include the results of the 4 above steps in your bug report, and always tell us which Kdenlive and MLT version you have!
Step 1: Upgrade to Kdenlive latest release
Please upgrade to the latest released versions of Kdenlive and MLT. We not not answer bug reports for old Kdenlive versions (unless they are still reproducible in latest version).
Step 2: Query open issues
Query open issues on KDE’s bugtracker. Reading the bug page:
- New or Feedback is a reported bug, which needs more feedback.
- Acknowledged means that the bug is reported by several users or by core members.
- Confirmed means that the bug is reproducible.
- Assigned means that a developer is handling the bug.
- Fixed means that the bug was fixed in development version.
Step 3: Report a bug
Before reporting bugs, read the user manual and search the forums for answers. Do not report bugs on Kdenlive versions less than 15.04.0, which are deprecated. For the bug report to be useful, please try to provide the following informations:
- Precise steps to reproduce the bug
- If the bug crashes Kdenlive, provide a backtrace.
How to get useful crash information (backtrace)
Please install the following packages: gdb, kdenlive-dbg, libmlt-dbg (package names may slightly change depending on your distro). When Kdenlive crashes, if the KDE crash handler dialog pops up, you can copy the data it provides. Otherwise, from a terminal, type: gdb kdenlive run Kdenlive will start, then you can trigger the bug. When Kdenlive crashes, go to your terminal window and type: thread apply all bt Then press enter until you see the full data. Copy the log to a file and attach it to the bug report.