Some quick news about AVCHD and hardware decoding:
- Ivan Schreter did a terrific job to add better support for AVCHD in FFmpeg. This includes fixing .ts and AVCHD timestamps, interlacing and seeking issues. Most changes have been commited to FFmeg SVN. The speed improvement on some clips is nearly 50% using ffplay. In the next days Ivan plans to submit a patch to MLT mailing list for better handling of recent changes. Thanks Ivan. By the way, do not recompile yet FFmpeg, MLT and Kdenlive, as you would not befinit from the changes.
- Gwenole Beauchesne proposed FFmpeg developers an API for unifed hardware acceleration of Nvidia and ATI video cards for Mpeg2, Mpeg4 and H264. The interesting story is that we got in contact with Gwenole to explain that we would like to have access to hardware decoded frames. With recent high speed PCI-e busses, this seems possible and Gwenole wrote us that he would have a look at this issue. He seems pretty motivated to help us and he is a very talenteous developer.
- Of course this was made possible by the hard work of the FFmpeg community reviewing patches and also Dan's work on MLT. Ivan had a baby girl and spent some time hacking to help us, which we thank him for. At least, we hope that he will be able to film his baby-girl in AVCHD!
In the next weeks, we hope to achieve a really good support of AVCHD, both on single core computers AND on hardware accelerated video cards. IMHO, this would raise a large interest on Kdenlive, MLT and FFmpeg, demonstrating the power of Free Software.
We will keep you informed when it is time to recompile and test the whole bunch.
Now, on Kdenlive website front, there are also some news:
- Per discussion with JB, we plan to manage profiles and rendering formats using the collaborative work on website. This is still alpha and we will keep you informed.
- Drupal project management modules was migrated to Drupal 6. This should allow an all integrated website giving allowing to follow bugs. We will only migrate in a few weeks or months, when everything is ready and after long discussions.