0.8.3+git20111120 crashes all the time on Ubuntu 11.04

I have been away from kdenlive for some time, busy with other projects, but needed to work on a small project today.

Using the normal release version from sunab (0.8.2), I could do some work and save the file, but when I re-opened it said it converted the .kdenlive file to a never version and then crashed ;-(

Having read the issues mentioned here, I upgraded to the "git" version (kdenlive-svn) and have similar problems... Now it tells me there are missing files (with no filename), and it cannot find those and leaves me with an empty project ;-(

The .kdenlive file looks a bit strange to me as there is a mix of &lt and > in there as follows:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<html><head><meta name="qrichtext" content="1" /><style type="text/css">
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
</style></head><body style=" font-family:'Ubuntu'; font-size:8pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;">
<p style="-qt-paragraph-type:empty; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;"></p></body></html>

Any ideas what to do here? I'll be happy to provide more details and/or do some more debugging.

-- Per.

I have seen this issue with a south african user, and it was caused by a bug in the south african locale... Your bug looks quite similar. Can you please paste the output of the following command in a terminal:

locale

Edit: And also, it might help if you mail me the .kdenlive project file at: jb at kdenlive.org

LANG=en_DK.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_DK:en
LC_CTYPE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Thanks, now can you mail me the project file please (jb at kdenlive.org)

... on it's way. Thanks for looking into this also!

Ok, so as I thought, this is a locale issue. The en_DK locale has no entry in the unicode database used by Qt:

http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/browser/tags/release-2-0-1/posix/

So Qt uses the default C locale, and we end up with a locale conflict between system and Qt. I committed a workaround in git commit dd7c9ab, should be available on next update of the sunab svn repository for a test.

I was able to run the previous version if I changed my locale to something less exotic... even if it doesn't really feel that exotic to be around where I am here :-)

Anyway, I am not yet able to upgrade to the latest version. I got some mlt libs earlier today, and now I could update melt itself (or something like that). But kdenlive cannot upgrade due to a dependency to a newer kdenlive-data version. So I'll try again tomorrow and see if that problem goes away automatically.

-- Per.

Was able to upgrade now (to 0.8.3+git20111121-23.3f792a87-0ubuntu0~sunab~natty1) and it seems to have fixed the problem!

Thanks a lot for the quick response :-)

-- Per.