The Toys being audio and video tools
This first project may not be that interesting to people who don't know the context of the video, but it is instructive in how to get a lot of mileage out of just a little material. A friend sent me 30 photographs of a summer solstice celebration so I decided to see how far I could push that little material over a song that went 4:19. I had to use what I have named my holy trinity (Kdenlive, Inkscape, and GIMP) to make this work.
There is nearly an exact copy of this video that is really bad, but it shows how much I learned in about one week's time. I have gotten more out of playing with kdenlive and a few short instruction videos than I got out of the whole Cinelerra manual.
This second tiny project was a media identification stub I can use on future videos. It is a project in process, and the great thing about it is that as I make changes I can just drop the kdenlive project file into any future video. It reminds me of the concept of the header file in programming, and reduces generational degradation even though that may not be as important considering the hardware I have at my disposal right now.