kdenlive 0.8.2: Rendering aborted, resulting video will probably be corrupted.

Hi there,

got trouble with my kdenlive 0.8.2 on Debian Wheezy (fresh install with Debian Multimedia-Repository included).

I have a video project finished with kdenlive and finally want to render it.
But when rendering, the process is stopping with the following error message:

Rendering of /home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg aborted, resulting video will probably be corrupted.

The same happens with all different codecs, formats and settings.

The installation of "melt" and the "mlt-framework" (3 packages installed : libmlt++3, libmlt-data, libmlt4) has version 1:0.7.2-0.0.

I also tried to get some more information about the error by starting kdenlive via console, but no further success.
Here is the whole console content:
-----------------------------
andreas@debian:~$ kdenlive
project monitor connected
clip monitor connected
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
//STARTING RENDERING: true , false , "/usr/bin/melt" , "square_pal" , "avformat" , "-" , "/tmp/kde-andreas/kdenliveRh2439.mlt" , "/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg" , () , ("f=mpeg", "acodec=mp2", "ab=384k", "ar=48000", "vcodec=mpeg2video", "minrate=0", "b=25000k", "bf=2", "b_strategy=1", "trellis=1", "aspect=@4/3", "pass=1", "progressive=1", "threads=1", "real_time=-1") , -1 , -1
Started render process: "/usr/bin/melt" "/tmp/kde-andreas/kdenliveRh2439.mlt -profile square_pal -consumer avformat:/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg progress=1 f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=1 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1"
"Rendering of /home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg aborted, resulting video will probably be corrupted."
-----------------------------

What can I do to get kdenlive rendering without crash?

Thanks in advance,

regards
Andreas

Forums:

This bug may be already inserted here:

http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=2116

As I don't want to create an additional login, I can confirm here, that the same bug appears also in Debian Wheezy.

If anyone else has a solution for the problem , please feel free to answer :-)

Thanks in advance,
regards
Andreas

Yesterday evening, I downgraded all packages for melt and mlt-framework from version 1:0.7.2-0.0
to version 0.7.2-1.

But unfortunately, this didn't helped. Rendering is still crashing during the process :-(

Other versions are not offered via apt-get.

Any other ideas (except of compiling melt by myself) ?

regards
Andreas

You could render "to script".
Execute this script with "sh -x myscript.sh"

Copy the part with /usr/bin/melt .....(many params) out and start this itself
For more info you could add -verbose at the end.

G.Marco, thanks for your reply, but what do you mean with "you could render to script" ?

in render dialog do not press "Render to file", but press "Generate Script". This will create a Shell-script and an mlt project file.

Today, I made an update to version 0.8.3 of kdenlive.
But with both a.m. versions of melt, the process of rendering crashed.

Then, with version 1:0.7.2-0.0 of melt, I generated the script as mentioned.
First I started the saved script via kdenlive-gui => process crashed.

Then tried to run the script via console.
Script stopped immediately after start.

The I added "-verbose" to the script and when I started it, an preview window appears, but no file was written to hdd and after some seconds, the process stops.
Process is always stopping at a specific scene at the movie, but the scene contains nothing special like effects, etc.

did you start teh script @console with sh -x ?

there will appear a line like
+ /usr/bin/melt ..........

this list should be executed later in the console like

/usr/bin/melt ...... -verbose

this should give a message.

Here is the complete console output:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
andreas@debian:~/kdenlive/scripts$ sh -x Skript001.sh
+ SOURCE=/home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt
+ TARGET=file:///home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg
+ RENDERER=/usr/bin/kdenlive_render
+ MELT=/usr/bin/melt
+ PARAMETERS=square_pal avformat - /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt file:///home/andreas/kdenlive/proejekt.mpg f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=2 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1
+ /usr/bin/kdenlive_render /usr/bin/melt square_pal avformat - /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt file:///home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=2 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1
//STARTING RENDERING: false , false , "/usr/bin/melt" , "square_pal" , "avformat" , "-" , "/home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt" , "/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg" , () , ("f=mpeg", "acodec=mp2", "ab=384k", "ar=48000", "vcodec=mpeg2video", "minrate=0", "b=25000k", "bf=2", "b_strategy=1", "trellis=1", "aspect=@4/3", "pass=1", "progressive=1", "threads=1", "real_time=-1") , -1 , -1
Started render process: "/usr/bin/melt" "/home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt -profile square_pal -consumer avformat:/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg progress=1 f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=1 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1"
"Rendering of /home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg aborted, resulting video will probably be corrupted."
andreas@debian:~/kdenlive/scripts$
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean that part of it?
------------------------------------------------------
/usr/bin/melt square_pal avformat - /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt file:///home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=2 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1

If I execute that command in the console, I'm getting several errors like:
bash: /usr/bin/melt /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt: File or Directory not found
The file exists, but with 0 byte it is empty.

yes, i see the melt command is a bit later

/usr/bin/melt /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt -profile square_pal -consumer avformat:/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg progress=1 f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=1 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1

what file is 0 byte /usr/bin/melt ?
so you should delete it and make sure, you have installed melt in the system correct else it cannot start

if you have melt installed right, it should work with the line before.
else you could add at the end -verbose

Melt is installed correctly, I tried the command line you mentioned,
but it failed again (always at 4 percent).
As error message, it shows (in German):
----------------------------------------------
Speicherzugriffsfehler147, percentage: 4
----------------------------------------------
I guess, that "segfault" or "segmantion fault" is the correct translation.

I googled for "Speicherzugriffsfehler147 kdenlive" and got a result, that kdenlive in version 0.7.7 had problems with opening "old" projects from version 0.7.6.
http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=1449
but now we are on version 0.8.3 and my project is rather new (I started with version I dont know, 0.8 ?, the version that is installed with a new stock debian wheezy installation).

Then I added a "-verbose" to the a.m. command line.
The output is not that "verbose", that I expected :-)
---------------------------------------------------------
command line.....f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=1 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1 -verbose
[filter resample] channels 2 samples 1280 frequency 32000 -> 48000
[filter resample] Input and output data arrays overlap. 32000,1280,48000
Speicherzugriffsfehler147, percentage: 4
---------------------------------------------------------

then you'v found an error or some lib problem in you mlt installation

please run

gdb --args /usr/bin/melt /home/andreas/kdenlive/scripts/Skript001.sh.mlt -profile square_pal -consumer avformat:/home/andreas/kdenlive/projekt.mpg progress=1 f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 b=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@4/3 pass=1 progressive=1 threads=1 real_time=-1

type "r" +

after the segfault run (http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace)

thread apply all bt

so you could se what causes the problem. for further investigation you need to read how to debug with gdb.

Ok, I installed the Gnu-Debugger GDB and run the command you posted.
Nothing special happened and a prompt appears, showing a (gdb) prefix.
Then I tried different commands like:
---------------------------
r+
"r"+
"r" +
help
all commands shown in help-command
---------------------------
but all with no success. For all commands, I'm getting a "undefined command: "COMMAND". Try "help".
After that, I quit the gdb and returned to my normal prompt.

Then I re-ran your command and got to the gdb-prompt again.
Then I ran the melt-command in another terminal window again and got my crash after 4 percent.
After that crash I returned to the debugger and tried all mentioned commands (r+, "r"+, aliases...) again,
but every time I received the same error message.

Marco, thanks for your help, but is this a computer specific problem on my side or is this a bug somewhere in the mlt-installation?
Or do you think, that I have here a new bug?

One more question: are there other possibilities to render my project ?
Maybe also in the "not-linux-world" if needed.

Thanks for all your help, ein fettes "Merci" nach Berlin.

Regards
Andreas

sorry for the r+

it should be only a "r" and enter (the forum did destroy the "" ...)
you could also run "run" (which means r)

after segfault

thread apply all bt

i think you have an problem with the libs. do you have a title starting at frame 147 ?
the bt (backtrace) you show what it wrong.

you could also render this on windows or else (but you have to install qt/ffmpeg/mlt and all other too, and for titles you need to have a running x-Server)

i hope this woudl help now

Yesterday, I desperately tried again to render my project.
Of course, with no success, because no new version was installed.
Rendering crashed at the same point as before.

Today, I was reading the "/var/log/messages" to look for a minor error regarding my network harddisk drive.
And then I found this error message from yesterday:
Jun 5 20:03:55 debian kernel: [22763.450569] melt[8161]: segfault at 8 ip b773a8c0 sp b060dcd0 error 6 in libc-2.13.so[b762b000+153000]

Can this error message help to get rid of this rendering crashes?

Regards
Andreas

Hi,

same issue here with kdenlive 0.8.4. and Debian unstable dist-upgrade today but the resulting file (4 pics, render as webm) works well

How the hell can you have Kdenlive 0.8.4 when we just decided to release Kdenlive 0.8.2 in two weeks.

Its version 0.8-4 and not 0.8.4. Its a slash, not a dot !

Hm, today I got the update from debian-sid for:
- melt and all libmlt 1:0.7.2+git20110530-0.1
- kdenlive 1:0.8-4.2

With my old saved project from the previous versions I got the rendering crash at the very same 4%.

Then I set up a new (smaller - for testing) project and tried to render it.
The rendering process reached 99% (or maybe 100%), but in the end, I still received the crash error notification.
The rendered mpg2-file seems to be ok.

Later this day, I will try to get my old saved project redone in the new kdenlive version.
Maybe the crash comes from the saved project file ??

I'm a little bit confused, but I will try to go on...

I just notified that i got this bug only when i use the speed effect.

I have problems with rendering after installing Ubuntu 11.10. The Rendering seems to work, but the resulting files are empty. I try different formats. Nothing works.

I am experiencing the same issue.

In my case it is a new project that I created after the upgrade to 0.8.2. It progress meter reaches 100% during rendering, but then the render crashes.

This has one source clip. I cut out three separate sections and put in simple dissolves between the remaining three portions of the project.

The render file is playable, but the last frame is somewhat garbled. When I burned the clip onto a DVD, the video stutters a lot, but the audio plays just fine.

I got the 0.8.2.1 update and the results are the same.

I am on openSUSE 11.4. I'll have to check the exact version numbers for mlt when I get home tonight.

I'm new to the group and am using suse-12.1 on an amd64 machine and an asus g73 portable. Kdenlive 8.2.1 reported the crash as described but it was nonetheless completting the render (very simple projects) on both machines. Since yesterday, with a new project I get no rendering at all, only the annunciation and a 0-byte file size. Both sets of projects revolve around creating training material with an avi file of a guitar note the video part of which is dumped and two png images stretched out to 10-15 seconds to make the new video portion. Very small files, very simple stuff.

With a Ubuntu 12.04, kdenlive 8.2.1 and MLT 7.7, and added effect like speed, I cant finish AVCHD rendering to MPEG2, even one minute chunk ;/ It aborted with message about mlt error, after randomly time... But rendering without any effect works...I also tried different mlt with Kdenlive 8.2.1 and it didnt helped. So I have to wait to next mlt version or refactored Kdenlive version? Or someone solved it?

This is what I,ve got in terminal, when I've ran script:

//STARTING RENDERING: false , false , "/usr/bin/melt" , "atsc_1080p_50" , "avformat" , "-" , "/media/MULTIMEDIA/WIDEO/SONY_HD/2011_03_24_26/PROJEKT/scripts/skrypt002.sh.mlt" , "/media/MULTIMEDIA/WIDEO/SONY_HD/2011_03_24_26/RENDER/Gotowe_poprawione/file.mpg" , () , ("f=mpeg", "acodec=mp2", "ab=384k", "ar=48000", "vcodec=mpeg2video", "minrate=0", "vb=25000k", "bf=2", "b_strategy=1", "trellis=1", "aspect=@16/9", "threads=2", "real_time=-1") , 0 , 8232
Started render process: "/usr/bin/melt" "/media/MULTIMEDIA/WIDEO/SONY_HD/2011_03_24_26/PROJEKT/scripts/skrypt002.sh.mlt in=0 out=8232 -profile atsc_1080p_50 -consumer avformat:/media/MULTIMEDIA/WIDEO/SONY_HD/2011_03_24_26/RENDER/Gotowe_poprawione/file.mpg progress=1 f=mpeg acodec=mp2 ab=384k ar=48000 vcodec=mpeg2video minrate=0 vb=25000k bf=2 b_strategy=1 trellis=1 aspect=@16/9 threads=2 real_time=-1"
"Rendering of /media/MULTIMEDIA/WIDEO/SONY_HD/2011_03_24_26/RENDER/Gotowe_poprawione/file.mpg aborted, resulting video will probably be corrupted."

Also I've used several effects like muting, speed efect, shine efect, volume by keyframes.