This is a continuation of the thread with the similar title in the General Announcements section, it's just I realized this topic should really be in here...
Anyway, disclaimers aside, I've tried a whole bunch of different ideas, including K's and dragons, penguins, dragon heads, cogs, more dragons, general abstracted open source images, you name it. The problem was that this needs to be able to scale down to a 16x16 pixel icon (like in your task manager) as well as looking good large. That means simple.
So here's what I came up with (before final tweaking, of course):[attachment=1]
The idea is that it combines elements of:
- Clean simplicity (only 2 arrows, to reflect a Kdenlive strength: the clear interface)
- KDE (blue colours and a very subtle K on its side made of the top arrow + bottom black and white striped bar)
- Open source's constant improvement (arrows rising, moving from dark to light)
- Timeline editing (arrows are 2 sets of parallel lines)
- KDE's general design direction (minimalist, curved corners - see clapper).
Here's also a much smaller version to see it at more icon size:
I did try a number of "K" icons, but found that it looked a bit weird having the K on the clapper, right next to the K of kdenlive in the logo.
So... Is this closer? Are we there yet? Can we conquer the world now?!?
OK... breeeeathe Cinephiliac.
*goes and lies down*