Please report quality of Ubuntu 8.10 packages

Dear friends,

I updated our Ubuntu package page with recent packages:

http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/downloading-and-installing-kdenlive/...

Could you install these packages and report quality.

In particular, I need:

• Output of ffmpeg command.
  • Which versions of dvgrad and swh-plugins

If you previously installed Kdenlive using the wizard, please uninstall any FFMpeg, MLT and Kdenlive files in /usr/local.

Thank you in advance.

I installed per the directions without any issues. However the quality of the clips is terrible. The sound is very choppy and out of sync with the video. This is not ready for even casual use as far as I can tell. Feature set looks good but jeez, using Movie Maker in Vista works better than this. I tried changing around the sound driver but to no avail.

With kdnelive-0.7.2.1, I rendered some AVCHD files on my old athlon-1100+ PC with only 1 GB of RAM and an old nVidia MX440 graphics (running openSUSE-11.1 Linux and not Ubuntu-8.10, but IMHO the Linux distribution should not matter).  From that 9 year old PC, the rendering quality was good (but it took a long time).   That old PC could NOT play the raw video/audio, but it could successfully render it.  I had the 10-Feb-2009 SVN version of ffmpeg.   There is NO WAY Movie Maker for winXP could have handled that. Vista will not run on that PC.  What does this say ? It says:  NOTHING.  ABSOLUTELY nothing.  It says nothing because I did not state what camcorder, nor did I state the bit rate/details of the recorded video, .... 

Hence IMHO, unless you state your software versions (kdenlive/ffmpeg) and state the camcorder you were using, the bit rate you chose in the video, and the output format you selected in your rendering from KDEnlive, I don't know how anyone can draw any recommendations/suggestions from your post.

I'm having the same problem when trying to add "http://ppa.launchpad.net/baudm/ppa/ubuntu" to repositries all downlaod and then I get this error:

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B00E04A9D58062FB

I tried using the first line in terminal and here's what I get:

josh@machine-josh:~$ gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371 --recv-key D58062FB
gpg: requesting key D58062FB from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: can't open `/home/josh/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: eof
gpg: no writable keyring found: eof
gpg: error reading `[stream]': general error
gpg: Total number processed: 0

First thing I figure is to try sudo and get this error:

josh@machine-josh:~$ sudo gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371 --recv-key D58062FB
[sudo] password for josh:
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/josh/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: external program calls are disabled due to unsafe options file permissions
gpg: keyserver communications error: general error
gpg: keyserver receive failed: general error

I've only been using Linux for a few days so I'm I'm a complete newb and I'm still learning the basics. I've also googled for a work around and so far nothing but I'll keep digging.  I really need a video editing program and kdenlive seems comparable to adobe primeir, so I would really appriciate any help.

Using Ubuntu Intrepid. The only additional information I can think to add is that I had kdenlive 0.6.0 installed before hand but uninstalled it through Add/Remove(which might not have been a suffiecnt enough uninstall, IDK) and somehow I don't think that would be relevant to this particular problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT:

I think I fixed it. Had a problem with file permissions in /home/$user/.gnupg/*. Files gpg.conf, pubring.gpg and secring.gpg file permissions were addressed to root when they should have been addressed to me preventing me from adding keys I suppose.

Ran in terminal:

sudo chown $USER:$USER /home/$USER/.gnupg/*

$USER is username of course

Then in root terminal ran:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys B00E04A9D58062FB && gpg --export --armor B00E04A9D58062FB | sudo apt-key add -

Then went back in repositories and reloaded:

"deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/baudm/ppa/ubuntu"

Seems to have fixed the problem for me, I'll try the rest of the install and report back.

EDIT 2:

Well I finished the install process and so far everything seems to working fine. Gettin ready to try it out, thanks to the kdenlive team for making this app. If anyone else has the problems I had I'd suggest you try the work around above.

Instead blue screen and trasparent effects doesn't work in my system.

I've KUbuntu 8.10. Is there some missing library?

I'm not able to install 0.7v.

After inserting repo, the system tell me is not possible to install kdenlive because an older version is already installed (but I removed it).

Triyng to install from synaptic the system tell me that some dependencies are not satisfied. But is not possible to install missing libs.

Using the kdenlive from official repo is quite impossibile.... too many crashes ......

By Pet

Ubuntu 8.10 / gnome / 64 bit version.

I downloaded and installed the packages for Ubuntu 8.10 today.  They seemed to work quite well.  APT-GET handled it all well.

I was able to successfully install Kdenlive and used it to create a couple of videos from footage created with Blender.  It worked perfectly.

I noticed that transitions from titles to video did not seem to work.  Other transitions (video to video) worked alright.

A couple other notes:

-The interface was extremely intuitive.  User interface in my opinion is extremely important in my opinion, and I think Kdenlive has it well thought out. I was able to make and export complete videos without any troubles.

-It opened many different formats for editing, that was very useful. I imagine that's because it uses ffmpeg in its backend?

-I did notice that the snapping seemed awkward while placing clips on the timeline. Things often didn't snap where I thought they would, or the preview of the snap shown was different than where the clip ended up.

-My most requested feature would be function curve controls in the timeline for clips, basically the ability to draw a line/graph representing values over time. (Similar to the poorly named "IPO" feature in Blender.)  This is frequently used in other similar software for fading clips in and out (the alpha of a video track or the volume of an audio track.)

-The software should have presets for 24fps progressive footage, which is how most high end professional work (including film) is done. Luckiliy, your software was very flexible, and I was able to easily make presets.  If I created some presets, where could I send them so they would be considered for future inclusion?

-When thumbnails of the clips are shown, the lines/borders around the clips should still be drawn, so that if you've edited/cut them, or have multiple duplicated clips, you can tell exactly where each edit is. I turned thumbnails off to get this functionality, but I would prefer to have it with thumbnails on.

I was very pleased overall.  Thanks to the developers for creating an excellent piece of software.  I will certainly make use of it in the future.

Also, as my company does graphics professionally, I could perhaps create some samples with kdenlive. If that would be useful, please contact me so we can discuss the matter.

Written by camile:

"I can't install kdenlive in ubuntu intrepid ibex

I can't install kdenlive in ubuntu intrepid ibex. I have followed the instructions at www.kdenlive.org/forum/binaries-ubuntu-810 but when I try to install it I get the error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  kdenlive: Depends: libmlt++1 but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libmlt1 but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: inigo but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

It seems that the problem is related with libavcodec52 and other libraries, because:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libmlt1: Depends: libavcodec52 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but it is not installable or
                    libavcodec-unstripped-52 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but it is not installable
           Depends: libavformat52 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but 3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3 is to be installed or
                    libavformat-unstripped-52 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libavutil49 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but 3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3 is to be installed or
                    libavutil-unstripped-49 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libswscale0 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but 3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3 is to be installed or
                    libswscale-unstripped-0 (>= 3:0.svn20081101-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

It seems that this packages are from jaunty repository or another problem.

What amd I doing wrong?"

I have the exactly same problem.

someone knows a working solution ????

following the steps suggested for mcouture (some previous posts) didn't worked  ........

*sigh* ;_;

I bought myself a new HD-Camera and I really want Kdenlive to work, since it is the only video editor on Linux I like. I had another version before, and it crashed unbelievably often. Now I tried to install this one on Intrepid, and it won't even start. I always get the following bug:

Application: Kdenlive (kdenlive), signal SIGSEGV
[Current thread is 0 (LWP 16122)]

Thread 2 (Thread 0xb1dabb90 (LWP 16125)):
#0 0xb7f34430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb6806df1 in select () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0xb749c150 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#3 0xb73cc6ae in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#4 0xb671650f in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#5 0xb680ea0e in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb5e576c0 (LWP 16122)):
[KCrash Handler]
#5 0xb6bf7032 in QWidget::insertAction () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#6 0xb6bf72cc in QWidget::addAction () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#7 0x080de772 in MainWindow::addToMenu ()
#8 0x080df04a in MainWindow::populateMenus ()
#9 0x080df66c in MainWindow::loadPlugins ()
#10 0x080e251d in MainWindow::MainWindow ()
#11 0x080c5129 in main ()

After adding the new source and changing the update back port. I get the message :
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B5115B98AA836CA8

When I try to install kdenlive, 0.7.5 shows up in synaptic but gives the following messages:
kdenlive:
Depends: kdebase-runtime (>=4:4.2.0) but 4:4.0.5-0ubuntu1~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: kdelibs5 (>=4:4.1.96) but 4:4.0.5-0ubuntu1~hardy3 is to be installed
Depends: libmlt++2 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmlt1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libqt4-dbus (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: libqt4-network (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: libqt4-svg (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: libqt4-xml (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: libqtcore4 (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: libqtgui4 (>=4.4.3) but 4.4.0-1ubuntu5~hardy1 is to be installed
Depends: melt but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmlt-data (>=0.4.4) but 0.2.4.svn20071228-0.0ubuntu2 is to be installed
Depends: libavdevice52 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libavfilter0 but it is not going to be installed

PS. I did have an earlier version on my machine (64 bit AMD) which did work but crashed a few times.

hi tomika,

You have a MAJOR problem : you are trying to install packages built for Ubuntu Intrepid(8.10) BUT you are running Ubuntu Hardy(8.04). This will never work. My kdenlive package expects a higher version of Kde libs but the system only finds an earlier version.

The first problem (public key) is simple : add the key of my ppa to your system. Type this command : sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys AA836CA8

Pages