Rendering broken

xubuntu 12.04 RC

Rendering ends 0 seconds in and produces a 0 byte file. There are no errors.

Running the script acts exactly the same, and produces this output:

//STARTING RENDERING: false , false , "/usr/bin/melt" , "/home/j/.kde/share/apps/kdenlive/profiles/customprofile0" , "avformat" , "-" , "/home/j/kdenlive/scripts/" , "/home/j/kdenlive/untitled.webm" , () , ("acodec=libvorbis", "ab=128k", "ar=44100", "aq=50", "vcodec=libvpx", "minrate=0", "vb=8000k", "aspect=@16/9", "maxrate=16000k", "g=120", "qmax=42", "qmin=10", "threads=1", "real_time=-1") , -1 , -1
Started render process: "/usr/bin/melt" "/home/j/kdenlive/scripts/ -profile /home/j/.kde/share/apps/kdenlive/profiles/customprofile0 -consumer avformat:/home/j/kdenlive/untitled.webm progress=1 acodec=libvorbis ab=128k ar=44100 aq=50 vcodec=libvpx minrate=0 vb=8000k aspect=@16/9 maxrate=16000k g=120 qmax=42 qmin=10 threads=1 real_time=-1"
Rendering of "/home/j/kdenlive/untitled.webm" finished

Edit: As btriad noticed ( it's the title clips causing this.

I'd say this is high priority bug.


All right so the bug report concerning what's pretty much the highest priority kdenlive bug I can think of off the top of my head is headed nowhere (

Does anyone know how to downgrade kdenlive in ubuntu 12.04 to an earlier, working version?

It's not a bug as such, you're running a release candidate version of Ubuntu, one kdenlive is probably not currently being tested or built against. So at this stage as you're testing or trying out new 12.04 before release, then either provide the fix for kdenlive or wait and no doubt there will be more reports to come.

If you use sunabs git PPA you may be in luck with a working version or try the build script.

Does the problem occur on 11.10?

No idea, upgraded from 10.04...

Anyway, I've switched to gimp to create my titles, if kdenlive handles XCF files it's probably the better option anyway.

12.04 is official now, hope we have some news about this problem..

Now that my Ubuntu 10.10 has been killed off, I installed 12.04 64bit on a separate drive.

Unity is a definite no no no no, for me anyway. I tried a few others, all still with small problems (which may be cured by now), so I thought I'd give KDE a go (I had stopped using it when it went Plasma)

Well, I was really surprised at how stable it is for a new upgrade. I installed:-

kdenlive 0.8.3+git20120420.f41ee253-0ubuntu0~sunab~precise1 etc, and ported over a project from 10.10.

Played great. Rendered a section and all was well. Mind you, I haven't tried many things out yet.

I'll only use 10.10 now for my older Projects because porting is ok, you can easily redirect the files, but for those Proxies. In the 'missing file' Dialogue all the files are ticked but it says '10 missing proxies, these will be re-built' and then tries to write them back to the other HDD. Of course, it can't. It still load ok, in the end.

Not sure how to get over this, am I'm missing something? (like a second brain cell)

12.04 seems quite good at the moment, with KDE.

Is the other drive mounted and user privillages to write to it?

@yellow, Fixed it. On the new drive I had created all the original path names to the folders and files to match, but in the old drive I used an uppercase 'V' for the video folder instead of my usual lowercase. What a dope.

All seems to be working fine.

Check out the workaround listed on the bug report:

Worked perfectly for me on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 with standard packages and repos.


Just wanted to add that I just ran into this bug on Ubuntu 12.04... I first installed kdenlive from the included repos, version 0.8.2. After not being able to render my project, I added the ppa:sunab/kdenlive-releases hoping to fix it by upgrading to 0.9.2, which did not work. I removed kdenlive 0.8.2 first, before upgrading using the ppa. I noticed a message that is said it was skipping OpenCV something or other due to a bug.

At any rate, I followed the directions from Ben's post on the workaround, I found in my /usr/lib/frei0r-1, after removal, rendering is now working fine. Maybe the file was there from 0.8.2 and caused the bug to materialize, even with the OpenCV bug notice while installing 0.9.2...

Hopefully this might help someone else with rendering problems on Ubuntu.